Option 1: Reset DSRM Password with Ntdsutil
- On your machine, select Run from the Start menu, type ntdsutil and click OK.
- At the Ntdsutil command prompt, type set dsrm password.
- At the DSRM command prompt, run the Reset Password command, passing the name of the server on which to change the password, or use the null argument to specify the local machine. For example, to reset the password on server thanos, enter the following command:
reset password on server thanos
To reset the password on the local machine, specify null as the server name:
reset password on server null
- You’ll be prompted twice to enter the new password.
- Type q to exit the DSRM command prompt.
- At the Ntdsutil command prompt, type q to exit.
You can now use the local administrator account to log on to the recovery console or Directory Services Restore Mode using the new password. However, you can only use the Ntdsutil utility to reset DSRM password while logging into domain controller. If you also forgot domain administrator password, then you need to use the method below to change your forgotten DSRM password.