In trying to delete a decommissioned server from AD I came across this error:
Windows cannot delete object object name because:
The specified directory service attribute or value does not exist.
This is how you fix it:
- Open the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in.
- Navigate to the container in which the object resides.
- Right-click the object, and then click Properties.
- Click the Security tab.
- Click the Advanced button.
- Click the Owner tab.
- In the Change Owner to dialog box, select the Administrators group or the administrator account that you are currently logged on with, and then click OK.
- In the Security dialog box, assign Full Control permissions to the administrator account.