We recently had some pranksters who would use an unlocked machine to do all kinds of embarrassing things on behalf of the unsuspecting user. After multiple attempts failed to get the users to lock their machines, I decided to enforce a policy which will lock it for them!
- First go to Start –>> gpedit.msc
- Go to User Configuration –>> Administrative Templates –>> Control Panel –>> Display
There are many options there, but you just need to change four of them as follow.
- For screen saver option, just choose Enabled.
- For screen saver executable, choose Enabled and then type “rundll32 user32.dll,LockWorkStation“
- For password protect the screen saver, choose Enabled.
- For screen saver timeout, choose Enabled and then type the amount of time you want to lock your computer in seconds. (For example, if you want to lock your computer after three minutes of idle time, type 180)